Regan and I Are a Family!!

Shepherd, Regan, and I Are a Family!!!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Swim Bop, Easter, and Jogging





Today we had a great time at SunSplash (or SplishSplash as Regan calls it;) We got season passes again this year because they were cheap for Cape Coral residents and a welcome relief during the hot summer. This is our third weekend in a row to go and Shepherd got to go today. To backup, Shepherd was not allowed to go last weekend because his behavior was so horrible the week before at the park. Shepherd has a lot of attention seeking behaviors that manifest themselves in negative ways. While in India, his orphanage director had told me that everyone praised Shepherd even if he was doing something he shouldn't be doing because he was disabled and didn't have to follow the rules that everyone else followed. What?!?! That doesn't work in my house, but 20 months later, we are still modifying his behavior. Shepherd LOVES SunSplash, however last week he screamed and cried and whined the entire time we were there because he wanted to monopolize the adults' attention. I ignored the behavior as best I could, but I had a game plan in mind. Last week I picked a time when my brother could watch Shepherd and I left him with his uncle while my mom and I took my nephew and Regan to the water park. I explained to him that he didn't have to go because I was sure he didn't like to go because his behavior showed me that he was having a miserable time. I was very sympathetic when I told him that I didn't want him to be miserable like that again and I certainly didn't want the rest of the family to have their time ruined with his negative behaviors.

When I was putting on my bathing suit to get ready today he asked me to please let him go and promised me he wouldn't cry anymore when we were there. I allowed him to go and he didn't cry and we all had a great time. I know that not everyone agrees with how I deal with his behaviors because not everyone sees these behaviors, but I do what I have to because otherwise he would be out of control. Like my mom says, better to deal with it when they are five years old versus 15 years old. I imagine we will have no more issues with tantrums at SunSplash;)

On really big, big news......Regan learned to swim by herself today!!!! She swims about 2 feet, but she does it all by herself!!! She told me that she was getting big and going into kindergarten and she felt she could learn to swim. So she did!!!! She is my Swim Bop!!!


Shepherd realized that she was getting such attention for learning to swim and so he got brave and tried to swim and then tried to open his eyes underwater.  Peer pressure can be a good thing;)  I hope the lesson learned is that it is rewarding to earn positive praise.

 We also saw the Easter Bunny!  Our church had their annual Lenten Party with an Easter Egg hunt, games and crafts.  Shepherd really got it this year and loved every minute.  Regan loved doing the crafts.  Konnor almost thought he was too old for an Easter Egg hunt except he really wanted candy;)  We then went down to Bass Pro Shops to see the Bunny.  It was so cute, they had an ongoing Easter Egg hunt going on through the store.  The kids loved it!!  It was a great weekend!

With my news, I have completed Week 5 of the Couch to 5K.  I just jogged twenty minutes straight!   I love this program.  Never in a million years would I have thought that I could do any physical activity for 20 minutes.  I really, really struggled in the beginning and although I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination it feels good to get out there and exercise.

1 comment:

mommy of 2 said...

I am VERY proud of your for teaching Shepard how to behave in a positive way! WTG, Momma!!! Sounds like you used very good "love and logic" techniques and they WORKED. YAY!
Kerri