Regan and I Are a Family!!

Shepherd, Regan, and I Are a Family!!!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Yeah, We're Home!




This new blog is to take over where the other blog left off. I am still going to complete her Journey to Me blog so that I can buy the CD as a keepsake for Regan. In the meantime, I wanted to keep everyone up to date on what is happening now in Regan's life. We are feeling so much happier and so much better!


On the Health Front:

Regan was hospitalized one more time following her three week hospital stay, but we only had to stay for a day and a half. We heard some good news and we were discharged! Yeah! Since then, we have had numerous doctor's visits. She was diagnosed with Scarlet Fever after she developed an ugly rash. The doctor came in and said she never thought she would be so glad to tell someone their daughter had Scarlet Fever. I understood!! It is nothing compared to what Regan had gone through earlier. We can handle Strep and Scarlet Fever. No biggie! She was then in the doctor's again for another horrendous rash - turns out it is psoriasis, eczema, and ringworm. Again, we can deal! She had her follow up with the Infectious Disease doctor and she ordered bloodwork to test her immune system functioning. They just want to make sure her immune system is working okay, and that the disease was just so bad she couldn't fight it.


Quote From Dr. Mon:

On our last doctor's follow up with Dr. Mon he told me that he is amazed that Regan was in his office that day. He told me that he truly thought she wasn't going to survive the infection. He said "When I opened her up and saw the infection I knew that no medical intervention would be enough to save her life. She would have to begin to fight it herself". Well, fight she did! He said she must be a very strong little girl to have fought off this huge infection.


For that reason, and the fact that she lived in an orphanage for 11 months of her life, I feel that her immune system is great - the infection was just too much and she fought it off herself with no medical treatment for 5 days before they correctly diagnosed her condition.


About Regan:

Regan is doing so well! She is eating table food now. She just up and put food in her mouth one day. I threw some Wagon Wheels on her highchair tray one day just to give her something to play with while I finished dinner. She suddenly brought them to her mouth and began to eat! She is finally sleeping through the night, for the most part. She is by no means a heavy sleeper and occassionally wakes up and fusses, but we have had some sleep filled nights. One thing I don't get is that Regan is not walking yet, but can climb anything. She climbed up on the couch one day, on her big chair, halfway up the ladder to the bunk bed, and on my computer table. She has the musculature and the balance to walk. She is just not motivated to do so. I think it slows her down and she can motor while cruising! My brother watches Regan during the day so that I can work. Sometimes she gives him a run for his money! She is a pistol! I love her spark, she is one strong willed little girl! Regan loves her mommy and her mommy loves Regan. The silver lining of being in the hospital for 3 weeks is that we have definetly bonded. She is secure enough to play on her own and does "drive bys" to get a hug or a kiss, but then she can play again. She loves to hug and snuggle and I am so glad.


Regan spoke her first word! You'll never guess what it was! It was no. Figures. I was changing her and she said nah, nah, nah just like I say to her no, no, no when I want her to stop doing somthing. She has now perfected her nah into a clear no and has also used it on my mom!
Regan's Hair:
If you notice in any of the pictures that Regan's hair has a mohawk action, it is because I've removed her pigtails and the punk rocker look is the result.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Yeah! New blog with good news! Love the pictures!